The Old Rep Theatre - A Birmingham Gem!

The Old Rep Theatre is situated on Station Street in Birmingham and opened in 1913. Founded by Sir Barry Jackson. It was the home of the original Birmingham Repertory Theatre until 1971.


Where is The Old Rep Theatre?

The Old Rep Theatre is at 45 Station Street, Birmingham B5 4DY

 

In brief

The Birmingham Repertory Theatre was founded at Station Street, by Sir Barry Jackson and opened in 1913. It remained at this location until 1971 (when they moved to a new building at what is now Centenary Square, near Broad Street). After that time it became The Old Rep Theatre.

The Old REPThe Old Rep Theatre on Station Street. Photography by Elliott Brown

 

The Old Rep Theatre - history

Construction of what is now called The Old Rep Theatre took place during 1912, the architect was S N Cooke. The design was an Austere monumental-classic, fashionable for theatres circa 1910. The theatre opened in February 1913.

The Birmingham Repertory Theatre was founded by Sir Barry Jackson, and was based here from 1913, until they relocated to a new building on Broad Street (now Centenary Square) in 1971.

The Old Rep TheatreBlue plaque for Sir Barry Jackson at The Old Rep Theatre. Photography by Elliott Brown

 

The public entrance to the theatre is on Station Street, while there is doors at the rear on Hinckley Street, for access to staff, actors etc.

The Old Rep TheatreHinckley Street rear view of The Old Rep Theatre. Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Barry Jackson received a gold medal from the Birmingham Civic Society in 1923, followed by a knighthood in 1925 for his services to the theatre.

Sir Barry JacksonPhoto of Sir Barry Jackson made up of other photos at The REP, Centenary Square. Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Arts Council England awarded the theatre their first grant in 1954. By 1960, Sir Barry Jackson met with Birmingham City Council and Arts Council England to make sure they had funding to build a new venue. This was agreed by 1968, and plans for a new Rep began to start.

The Old RepStage door at The Old Rep Theatre on Hinckley Street. Photography by Elliott Brown

 

The Birmingham Repertory Company moved to a newly built theatre on Broad Street in 1971, while The Old Rep went into ownership of Birmingham City Council. The next time The Rep would be based at The Old Rep, was from 2011 to 2013 during the building of the Library of Birmingham. During this time they celebrated their centenary at their old home.

The Old RepThe Old Rep Theatre on Station Street, seen from above on Queens Drive at Birmingham New Street Station. Photography by Elliott Brown

Birmingham Ormiston Academy (BOA) tendered The Old Rep Theatre in 2014.

The Old Rep TheatreTreasure Island at The Old Rep Theatre. Photography by Elliott Brown

 

Contact details

The Old Rep Theatre

Project dates

27 Jan 2022 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Civic pride, Art; Culture & creativity
Music & musicians, Classic Architecture

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com