University House, University of Birmingham - A Birmingham Gem!

University House has been home to the University of Birmingham's Business School since 2004.  


University House combines the original 1908 building with a modern, multi-million pound state-of-the-art teaching and learning complex. It is set within 2.75 acres of green gardens.

Birmingham Business School

University House at Birmingham Business School (January 2018) courtesy of Elliott Brown

 

The building encompasses 14 teaching rooms, including a 200 capacity tiered lecture theatre, as well as two computer clusters and a computer lab.

There is also a dedicated MBA common room, as well as Entrepreneurship and Innovation incubation space and a careers skills interview room. 

University House has its own cafe and Business Lounge area for all students, staff and visitors to use.

 

History of University House

University House was originally a hall of residence for the female students of the university.

The Birmingham Business School has it's origins as the School of Commerce, founded in 1902 by Sir William Ashley who was the first Professor of Commerce and Dean of the Faculty from 1902 to 1923. The original building was completed in 1908 and became a Grade II listed building in 2002 when it was described as a University Hall of Residence, to the designs of Herbert T. Buckland. It was made of brick with sandstone ashlar dressings; Cumberland slate roof with brick stacks. During the First World War the building was used as a Nurses home from 1914 to 1919. Then a mixed halls of residence until 2002. Sir Dominic Cadbury officially opened the Birmingham Business School at University House in 2005. The school expanded in 2008 to include the Department of Economics, along with the existing departments of Accounting and Finance; Management; Marketing. The Alan Walters Building at the Business School opened in September 2016 after a £10 million investment from the University and a generous philanthropic donation from Lady Walters. 

Birmingham Business School

The Alan Walters Building Birmingham Business School from Edgbaston Park Road (January 2018) courtesy of Elliott Brown

 

Woman for Heidelberg

As part of the University of Birmingham sculpture trail, in the grounds of the Birmingham Business School is a statue called Woman for Heidelberg. It was sculpted by Michael Sandle in 1987. Located in the Business School Garden. It resembles the classical appearance of an ancient Greek statue of Athena, the goddess of wisdom. But it looks like it is wearing the helmet worn by Darth Vader in Star Wars. The work takes its name from the hospital in Heidelberg for which it was originally commissioned.

Woman for Heidelberg

Woman for Heidelberg statue at the Birmingham Business School (January 2018) courtesy of Elliott Brown

Project dates

23 Feb 2021 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage, Education, Classic Architecture

Contact

(for further information)

Admin FreeTimePays

0121 410 5520
Admin@ FreeTimePays.com