Historic clock towers across Birmingham and the West Midlands

This feature is devoted to a showcase of the wonderful historic clock towers across Birmingham and the West Midlands that are available for people to go and enjoy.


In no particular order, here is a selection of wonderful clock towers across Birmingham and the West Midlands for you to enjoy.  It is the start of a growing historic feature and we invite people to contribute and send us photos or videos of their favourite.

 

Birmingham

Big Brum at Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery

Big Brum is located at Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, B3 3DH. On top of the Council House and Museum & Art Gallery.

The clock tower above the Council House was built in 1885 as part of the first extension to the original Council House of 1879. It was designed by Yeoville Thomason. The clock rings with Westminster Chimes. "Big Brum" can refer to either the clock, the tower or the bell.

Big BrumPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower 'Old Joe', University of Birmingham

Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower is located at the University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 2TT.  It is within the Chancellor's Court.

The Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower, known by it's nickname "Old Joe", is located at the heart of the University of Birmingham in Edgbaston. It can be seen for miles around the City and beyond.  Built from 1900 until 1908, it was the tallest building of Birmingham until the BT Tower was completed in 1965. It was built to commemorate Joseph Chamberlain who was the first Chancellor of the University. It is a Grade II listed building and a major landmark in Birmingham.

Old JoePhotography by Daniel Sturley

 

Aston Cross Clock

The Aston Cross Clock Tower is on an island between Park Lane, Lichfield Road, Rocky Lane and Aston Road North, Aston, Birmingham, B6 5RW. It was formerly at the junction of Park Road and Lichfield Road. 

A Historic landmark. The Aston Cross Clock Tower was made in 1891 of iron, and has four clock faces. It was near the Ansells Brewery (on site from 1881 to 1981) and the HP Sauce factory (late 19th century until 2007). The site today is East End Foods. It replaced the medieval Aston Cross.

Aston Cross ClockPhotography by Jack Babington

 

Five Ways Clock

The Five Ways Clock Tower is located between Harborne Road, Calthorpe Road and Old Calthorpe Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham, B15 1QP

The clock tower at Five Ways was put up to commemmorate the First Coroner of the Borough, John Birt Davis, who held the office for 36 years, in 1878.

Five Ways ClockPhotography by Jonathan Bostock

 

Jewellery Quarter Chamberlain Clock

The Jewellery Quarter Chamberlain Clock is on an island at Warstone Lane, Vyse Street and Frederick Street, Jewellery Quarter, Birmingham B18 6NP

The clock commemorates the visit of Joseph Chamberlain to South Africa in 1902-03 (when he was Secretary of State for the Colonies). It is located at an island near the Rose Villa Tavern in the Jewellery Quarter, and is Grade II listed. It was restored in 1989-90 and again in 2020-21.

Jewellery Quarter Chamberlain ClockPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Erdington Clock Tower

Erdington Clock Tower is located at 8a The Gardens, Erdington, Birmingham, B23 6BW

The Grade II listed clock tower in Erdington is located off Fentham Road in the centre of Avenue (Erdington Cottage Homes). It dates to 1898, and was part of the formal layout of the Aston Union Cottage Homes.

Erdington Clock TowerPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Dudley

Memorial Clock Tower at Dudley Town Hall

The Memorial Clock Tower forms part of Dudley Town Hall at St James's Road and Priory Street, Dudley, DY1 1HP

The Town Hall in Dudley also included a Coroner's Court, former Sessions Court and the Brooke Robinson Museum. Built from 1924 to 1928 to the designs of Harvey and Wicks, it includes a Memorial Clock Tower and former Magistrates' Court. A Grade II* listed building from 2010.

Dudley Town HallPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Stourbridge Clock Tower

The Stourbridge Clock Tower is on the High Street, Stourbridge. DY8 1DA. Near Market Street.

A Grade II listed late 19th century clock tower on the High Street in Stourbridge, in front of the former Market Hall. Also called the Stourbridge Town Clock.

Stourbridge Town ClockPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Halesowen Clock Tower

The Halesowen Clock Tower is located at 8 Peckingham Street, Halesowen, B63 3BA. Between High Street and Hagley Street.

A late 19th century clock tower in the Halesowen Market Place. In front of a pub called Picks. There is also a more modern clock tower at Halesowen Bus Station.

Halesowen Clock TowerPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Solihull

Brueton Gardens Clock Tower

The clock tower is located in Brueton Gardens, Warwick Road, Solihull, B91 3GH.

Ten years before Solihull gained Metropolitan Borough status (in 1974) they gained County Borough status. To celebrate this, a clock tower was built in Brueton Gardens, with funds provided by public subscription, and it was set in motion on the 5th May 1964, by the worshipful Mayor of the County Borough of Solihull, Councillor H. B. Shaw, J.P.

Brueton GardensPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Olton Clock Tower

Olton Clock Tower is at Old Warwick Road, Olton, Solihull B92 7JQ. It is next to the main Warwick Road.

There is no details about the Olton Clock Tower, but all four clock faces show the wrong time. We can assume it dates to the late 19th or early 20th centuries based on other clocks.

Olton Clock TowerPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Sandwell

King's Head Clock, Bearwood

The King's Head Clock is near Adkins Lane, Bearwood, Smethwick, B66 4BW. Between Hagley Road West and near Bearwood Road. Between Hagley Road West and near Bearwood Road.

The clock originally stood outside of The King's Head pub on the Hagley Road from 1905 until 1971, when it was removed for road widening. It was later renovated and installed on the High Street in Birmingham City Centre in 1979, where it remained until 2015, when Birmingham City Council gifted it to Sandwell Metropolitan Council, who restored it, and later in 2015 installed it at a site close to the Bearwood Bus Interchange in view of The King's Head pub.

King's Head ClockPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Wednesbury Clock Tower

Wednesbury Clock Tower at 26 Market Place, Wednesbury, WS10 7AY

It was built in 1911 to commemorate the coronation of King George V and Queen Mary. It was designed by Charles William Davies Joynson. It's located at the Market Place. Built of red brick and sandstone. It's next to the Golden Cross pub.

Wednesbury Clock TowerPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Kenrick's Clock, West Bromwich

Kenrick's Clock is at Dartmouth Square, High Street, West Bromwich, B70 7QU

A cast iron clock unveiled in 1912, presented to the Borough by the then Mayor, Councillor J Archibald Kenrick. The clock was relocated in 2000, and was repainted / restored in 2022

Kenrick's ClockPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Farley Clock Tower, West Bromwich

Farley Clock Tower at Carter's Green, West Bromwich, B70 9LG

Clock tower dated 1897 by Edward Pincher, red brick and terracotta. It was put up in honour of the first Mayor of West Bromwich, Reuben Farley (1826 - 1899), who served four terms in office.

Farley Clock TowerPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Walsall

Walsall Clock Tower

The Walsall Clock Tower is at Bridge Street, Walsall, WS1 1LW. Near St. Paul's Street.

This clock was erected in December 1883 as part of Town Centre Environmental improvement works. It replaced a clock that stood close to it's spot that was presented to the town by Councillor F B Certon the Mayor in 1854 / 1855 and was removed in 1857.

Walsall Clock TowerPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Wolverhampton

Jennings Funerals Clock Tower

Clock tower located at Jennings Funeral Directors, St James House, Horseley Fields, Wolverhampton, WV1 3DN

A classical style clock tower, but the column appears to be made of concrete, so maybe post 1960s?

Horseley FieldsPhotography by Elliott Brown

 

Lysaght Memorial Clock Tower 

The Clock Tower is in East Park, Wolverhampton, WV1 2DS

A hidden gem, located within East Park in Wolverhampton. Built in 1895, possibly by Dan Gibson. The clock tower was made of sandstone ashlar with rock-faced plinth. It has not been working for decades. And is in urgent need of restoration.

East ParkPhotography by Elliott Brown

Project dates

22 Jan 2023 - On-going

Passions

History & heritage

Contact

Your Place Your Space

Jonathan Bostock

0121 410 5520
jonathan.bostock@ yourplaceyourspace.com